Thursday, May 7, 2015

{challenge}

I really like a good challenge. In fact, I'd almost dare to say that I am the best me when I'm under the gun of a challenge.

I scan Instragram way too much. However, a few days ago I saw a photo that Tony Horton (the crazy P90X guy) posted on his feed about a challenge he was running through a company called Dietbet. I thought I had heard of that somewhere before and maybe seen some friends compete in it but wasn't exactly sure what it all entailed. I found myself selecting the link in his profile, browsing the game he had set up and thought to myself... I. have. to. do. this. now.

So here's the gist in a few words. You sign up. You pay the bet for whatever game you're in (the one for Tony Horton was a $30 buy in), you try to lose a % of body weight by the end of 4 weeks and if you accomplish that, you get a piece of the pot (the total from all the players who placed a bet). For this challenge, you have to lose 4% body weight in 28 days which will be a challenge, no doubt, but totally seems doable too! And the pot? Well last I checked it was at $80,000! Yup, you read that right! There are a lot of people who are in the game, but not everyone will win and I am betting on myself to be one of the winners.

Immediately after reading the rules and details, I texted Aaron and asked him if he thought I could go for it. Sheepishly, I was kinda wondering if he believed that I could actually do it. He totally jumped on board and said yeah! Why not get paid to lose weight? Sounds like a no-brainer to me! He also told me he knew I could do it and he'd do whatever I needed him to to help me get there. 

So that is my newest challenge. To lose 4% body weight from May 5 - June 2. 

It's now been 4 days straight that I've gotten my tush in gear and worked out, hit a shower right after, put on real clothes, and though I'm sore, and tired from being up with one or both of my kiddos, I have a new found energy - a peace - a restorative outlook on who I am and who I working on becoming.

Working out doesn't seem like it would change that much in your life. It doesn't seem like taking 30 minutes would really make a difference, not in how I feel, how I look, or how I approach the day. But it does. It totally does. And that's why I knew that I had to join this challenge. It would be my first step into working on something just for me, but truly - it's never just for me and I know it will spill over and make me a better wife, a better mommy, a better homemaker, a better photographer, and the list really does and could go on.

I know that for me the challenge to become more in touch with the person I was created to be is something I want to take seriously. It's not easy. Just like giving up gluten after eating it my whole life and then realizing at about age 22 that it was wrecking my innards and was the main reason for all my gi problems was seriously hard. It challenged me to think about two things in particular: Do I want to be the type of person who satisfies myself in the moment - no matter the cost? Or - do I care about the me in 10 years that will be thankful for choices I make today and will effect my life and happiness for the many tomorrows on the horizon? 

I'm choosing the latter. At least today anyway. And hopefully tomorrow.

Aaron told me that in a book he read about creating a habit, you just have to change one small thing to make a really big difference over the long run. Obviously, this is why crash diets and such are over before they've begun. Adding in a 30 min workout to my life and then just watching what I'm putting in my body is doable for me and not a huge change from what I currently was doing. Being more conscious of what goes in my body will be the big thing and I'll want it to be something that will help me the following day in my next workout and not make it even harder.

Cheers to a bright month of struggles that await but gratitude for the blooming that is already happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment